5-8 November, 2017
18-21 March, 2018 (provisional)
Lasting four days, the course combines lectures by specialists, with visits to a local maltings, other microbreweries and retail outlets. Participants also have the opportunity to help with a complete brew at York Brewery before the course begins.
Now in its twenty-eighth year, this course is offered by professional brewers and covers both the practical aspects of brewing and the basic theory of the brewing process.
Over four days you will:
- Learn the basics of good brewing practice, from raw materials to finished product, from professional brewers with decades of industry experience.
- Gain greater insight into both the art and science of brewing.
- Go on with confidence to optimise the quality and consistency of your products by developing your brewing procedures and skills.
David Smith, the course leader, has been running his own brewing consultancy since 1988. A lifetime member of The Institute of Brewing & Distilling, David has helped to establish over 170 breweries, both in the UK and abroad. He is assisted by Rob Smith, who joined the company in 2015 from Meantime Brewery in Greenwich. Rob has experience in both production and quality control of cask, bottle and keg products.
Other lecturers include: Andrew Whalley, Dipl.Brew, Hop Merchant, Charles Faram & Co, Paddy Edwards, Diversey Ltd, & Alison Hedley, General Manager, Brewlab Ltd.
- Three nights’ accommodation and all meals.
- Lectures and excursions. The opportunity to participate in a complete brew.
- Opportunities to discuss brewing with experts in the field.
- A personal copy of The Fundamentals of Mini-Brewing, a comprehensive manual for brewers.
- A certificate of attendance.
The course is held at the York Brewery Co. Ltd, York, North Yorkshire, UK. The venue is easily reached by car, rail or air, (via Manchester Airport, and then rail).
- Transport to York, drinks, other than tea or coffee.
Course Fee: £875.00 plus VAT.
SIBA members: £787.50 plus VAT.
Two or more people attending together: £744 each plus VAT.
A non-refundable deposit of £150 is required to secure a place.
“Fantastic experience. Excellent. Thank you, it’s both informed and inspired.” – Participant, March 2017
“Great course, everything I wanted to re-evaluate procedures when we move to larger premises.” – Participant, March 2017
“All around, great value for money. A very informative course, with a great opportunity to share ideas with fellow members of the industry.” – Participant, March 2017
To register, click here.